Sports Coaching & PerformancePrint
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Sports Coaching & Performance 4 year full time course in Waterford Institute of Technology
The programme combines the disciplines of coach education and sports science, applying theory to practice in different coaching environments. A key feature of the programme is the integration of National Governing Body of Sport coaching awards with students progressing through the coach development pathway.
The programme has four distinct elements:
1. Coach Education
Modules in this group address the key characteristics of successful coaching and talent identification
2. Sports Science
These modules provide students with the knowledge to understand the scientific basis of sports performance and the practical skills to undertake coaching-relevant assessments
3. Strength and Conditioning
These modules enable students to plan and implement strength and conditioning programmes for individuals and teams including advanced sports performers. Age-specific strength and conditioning is a key consideration in these modules.
4. Sport in Society
These modules are intended to place sport and coaching within a wider societal context
- The sports-specific education is delivered and academic credit is given to students for completion of National Governing Body awards and progress though the coach development pathway. Consequently, the programme can provide this advanced coach education to students from a wide variety of sporting backgrounds.
- The programme is designed specifically to develop coaching skills, abilities and perspectives to enable the coach to pursue career pathways in coaching and related specialisms.
- Additional points, to be added to the applicants CAO points score, can be awarded to individuals with outstanding sporting achievement. Typically 20 – 50 additional points will be added depending on the level of achievement.
- During the third year of the programme students will undertake a year-long coaching internship. They will be placed in medium to high performance coaching environments and will be mentored by experienced coaches. Mentoring will be the key during the internship year.
- Sports science foundation modules are a key component of years 1 and 2 while in year 4, students study the science of elite performance in specific sports, e.g. science of soccer. Such a focus on the science of performance in individual sports is not the norm on other sports science programmes.
Click the following link for more information:-
- Cost Click here for more information
- Course Length 4 years
- Start date September 2015
- By Aisling Cusack
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org