Masters of Arts Social Studies is a 2 year full time course in Waterford Institute Technology.
The MA in Social Studies is a four semester (Level 9) taught programme which aims to develop skilled social science researchers and critically-minded social studies thinkers who will have a direct impact in the ongoing development of the Knowledge Society. The programme builds on the strengths developed over many years in the School of Humanities in the area of social care and social studies.
It offers an interdisciplinary approach to the advanced understanding of human beings in contemporary society in relation their social, economic, political and cultural contexts.
It brings together the interdisciplinary teaching strengths of lecturing staff in the social sciences at WIT; Sociology, Psychology, Social Policy, Theology and Religious Studies, Systemic and Reflective Learning. This programme also relates strategically to the core research activity of the Centre for Social and Family Research in the Department of Applied Arts: Ethnicity and Migration, Masculinities, Child Centred Research, Theology and Religious Studies.
The aim of the Masters in Social Studies to enhance students’ knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- engage meaningfully in contemporary debates in social studies
- critically reflect on themselves and others, at both personal and socio-political levels in order to contribute to society and community
- successfully manage social science research
Unique Aspects of the Programme
The philosophy and learning strategy of this programme are underpinned by three distinct aspects:
- Interdisciplinarity: an interdisciplinary focus on teaching, leaning and assessment
- Reflective learning: supporting and developing students as a self directed learners and social researchers through focusing on critical self reflection and reflective learning processes
- Research informed teaching and learning: teaching and learning that is informed by current and critically engaged research at the frontiers in each of the subject areas.Click the following link for more information:-www.wit.ie/courses/type/humanities/department_of_applied_arts/ma_in_social_studies
- Cost Click here for more information
- Course Length 2 years
- Start date September
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org