This course has been designed to introduce students to the concepts of programming and the techniques involved in constructing small programs.
The course would be suited to people interested in learning the fundamentals of Java programming or for people considering returning to third level education in the area of Information Technology and /or computer Science. This course may also be of interest to people in the workplace who support software development projects.
• An understanding of the windows based operating systems such as XP, Vista and Windows 7
• An interest in learning a programming language
• understand the concepts involved in programming such as Inputs, Outputs, Conditional Statements, Looping, Arrays and Strings
• be familiar with industry standard programming practices
• learn the principles of software design
• acquire skills to construct reliable software
• test programs effectively and write supporting documentation for program code
• solve problems which require a loop construct as a solution
• explain the technique: top-down development
• use the top-down strategy to devise a program to solve a simple problem