Exercise & Health StudiesPrint
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Exercise & Health Studies 4 year full time course in Waterford Institute of Technology
What is the BA (Hons) in Exercise & Health Studies course?
This is a four year honours degree that combines the disciplines of exercise science & health promotion. It is a broad based degree which also allows for specialisation in key areas.
Exercise & Health Studies has four distinct elements
• Studies in exercise, nutrition & health science examine the influence of exercise & diet on the body & athletic performance, & the role of exercise in the prevention & treatment of modern health problems.
• Studies in health promotion examine the factors that influence human behaviour & consider how best to encourage behaviour change.
• A number of modules focus on quality of life issues and physical activity programming for key populations, including individuals with disability, older adults & at-risk-youth.
• Practical fitness instruction skills are the fourth key component of the course. These modules are accredited against European Health Fitness Association (EHFA) standards, enabling students to gain access to the Register of Exercise Professionals in Ireland (REPS Ireland). Membership of REPS Ireland qualifies students to work in Ireland & abroad in many countries.
A 16 week work placement in third year offers real experience in a fitness, special needs or physical activity promotion environment.Current placements include promoting physical activity in special needs, older adults or community settings, engaging in strength and conditioning work with individuals and/or sports teams, experiencing cardiac rehabilitation in regional hospitals and working with national governing bodies to promote participation in physical activity.
Research Experience and Community Links
Students in the programme have an opportunity to experience the full research process culminating in the completion of a dissertation on a self-selected topic in the final year of the programme. Students are also recruited to take part in Departmental research and community related activities, which have included the evaluation and provision of a Smarter Travel programme in Kilkenny, collection of data at the Women’s Mini Marathon in Dublin, health screening at activity and community events, fitness assessments of sports teams and individuals, and volunteering and assisting at local ventures to promote participation in physical activity.
Click the following link for more information:-
- Cost Click here for more information
- Course Length 4 years
- Start date September 2015
- By Aisling Cusack
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org