Certificate in Fire Engineering- NFQ Level 7- WIT- Springboard

Print
Translate test

About this Course

This NFQ Level 7 Certificate in Fire Engineering has been developed in response to the developing skills shortage in Fire Engineering in the construction sector. Many serious fire related incidences have brought the issue of good fire engineering practice into the public realm. Recent events like Priory Hall and Millfield Manor Housing Estate in Ireland and Grenfell Towers in London raise questions about the design competence of Fire professionals and onsite controls.

The Certificate in Fire Engineering will deliver graduates who have developed scientific and practical skills to undertake both prescriptive and performance based fire safety design. Students will develop and understanding of the scientific and technological principles related to fire science and engineering.  Graduates will have skills to enable them to develop and apply appropriate techniques in building design.

Modules

  • Introduction to Fire Engineering (5 ECTS)
  • Fire Safety 1 (5 ECTS)
  • Active Fire Safety Systems (5 ECTS)
  • Fire Safety 2 (5 ECTS)
  • Passive Fire Safety Systems (5 ECTS)
  • Project (5 ECTS)

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Applicants who have completed a minimum NQF Level 6 programme in a built environment programme will be eligible for entry to the programme. Applicants who have a senior trade with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience will be eligible for entry to the programme. Retained fire officers with a minimum of 7 years experience and full-time fire officers with a minimum of 5 years experience will be eligible for entry to the programme.
Entry to the programme may also be allowed via the Institutes Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process on an individual case-by-case basis. This RPL process includes the matching of the candidates prior learning (education and experiential) with the equivalent Level 6 programme outcomes.

Applicants who do not currently hold a full award at the required academic entry level may be able to gain admission using the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process – https://www.wit.ie/schools/education/springboard_ictskills#tab=panel-2

English language competency requirements
Applicants who first language is not English must submit documentary evidence of competency in English. Unfortunately no place can be offered unless candidates present the required certification of English – language competency. If you do not hold the relevant documentation it is recommended that you apply to one of the testing/certification organisations as soon as possible .
Please see WIT’s English Language Requirements for details at: http://www.wit.ie/about_wit/documents_and_policies/english_language_requirements

Cost

The employed will pay €350 (10%) of the total course fee of €3,500 and the Government will pay the remaining 90% of the course fee on your behalf.  The fee will be payable only at the final stage of the application process when you have been offered a place.

The course is fully funded for unemployed people and people returning to formal education – please see http://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility 

Applications through Springboard. See how to apply HERE.

Contact

Contact
  • Address Waterford Institute to Technology Cork Road Campus Waterford X91 KOEK
  • Phone 051 834137
  • EmailLorraine Quirke : lquirke@wit.ie
  • Websitewww.wit.ie
  • Category Engineering, Fire Engineering
  • Location Waterford City

Course Information

Course Information
  • Cost The employed will pay 10% of the total progrmme fees €,3500 (€350),no fee incurred by the unemployed.
  • Course Length 1 year- September 2018 - August 2019, 6 hours per week, evenings and weekend via blended learning
  • Start date September 2018 - Runs annually, contact provider for future dates.

Location

Certificate in Fire Engineering- NFQ Level 7- WIT- Springboard
Get directions

 

Contact

Certificate in Fire Engineering- NFQ Level 7- WIT- Springboard
  • By Antonia Splini
  • Email: antoniasplini@wwetb.ie

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject

Your Message