Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Physics for Modern TechnologyPrint
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Physics for Modern Technology 4 year full time course in Waterford Institute of Technology
Why are Physics and Technology important?
• Physics is the fundamental science that drives modern technologies – iPods, mobile phones, fibre-optics, medical imaging systems, smart sensors, and a host of other devices and systems are all applications of physics.
• Physicists are actively involved in research aimed at better understanding and protecting our environment – investigating alternative energy sources and building models to determine tomorrow’s weather and predicting the effects of global warming.
• Knowledge of the physics that underpins modern technological developments allows us to conceive of previously unforeseen devices and applications.
What is the BSc (Hons) in Physics for Modern Technology?
This is a four-year honours degree course, including a six-month work placement in industry. It is an inter-disciplinary course which provides students with an understanding of the physics underlying modern technologies such as semiconductors, optics/photonics, alternative energy, and sensor systems. It is designed to provide students with strong and complementary skills in the areas of physics, engineering, mathematics and programming. Graduates will develop a range of transferable skills that are valued and much sought after by industry.
Students undertake a work placement in industry or in a research group, allowing them to develop valuable professional skills within an organisation. Recent placement opportunities have included Analog Devices, Genzyme and FeedHenry (Ireland); ESA (European Space Agency, Noordwijk, the Netherlands); and NPrime (Sheffield, UK)
- Cost Click here for more information
- Course Length 4 years
- Start date September Each Year
- By Aisling Cusack
- Email: email@example.com