B. Sc. (Hns.) Sustainable Farm Management & AgribusinessPrint
QI level 8 in Wexford Campus (IT Carlow) full time course over 4 years
What is Sustainable Farm Management about?
Agribusiness is one of Ireland’s most important indigenous industries and plays a vital role in Ireland’s economy. This sector has evolved hugely in recent years and farm owners and managers need a diverse range of both old and new skills to survive and thrive in this dynamic sector. Skill sets required include: management; entrepreneurship; agricultural sustainability; soil science; business law; regulations; marketing and many more.
What is this Programme about?
This four-year honours degree programme will equip students with both the practical and academic skills required to own or manage modern day farms of all sizes. Modules include: farm buildings and regulations; farm mechanisation and regulations; animal and plant biology; agricultural sustainability; soil/plant interactions; nutrition; breeding; crop protection; farm business management and IT and research skills. The programme includes multiple site visits to farms and organic food producers to demonstrate best practice techniques and enhance practical skill development.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
This programme will enhance students’ practical skill sets in all aspects of farm management and agribusiness. Graduates will acquire the management and entrepreneurial skills required to pursue careers in farm management; agribusiness or with government and state agencies in the agricultural sector.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates are eligible to apply for a range of postgraduate business Taught or Research Masters at IT Carlow.
What subjects will I study?
Special features of the course
- 24-week work placement in relevant farm or agricultural business.
- Multiple site visits to farms and organic food producers for best practice demonstration and practical skill development.
- Exit award – Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Farm Management and Agribusiness (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3 and Higher Certificate in Sustainable Farm Management and Agribusiness (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What are the entry requirements?
- 6 subjects with at least 2 subjects at Higher Level Grade C3 or better.
- 4 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade D3 or better.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade D3 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade D3 or better.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Caroline Murphy, RNID, RPN, RGN, Dip in Nursing, BSc, MBA, MSc
Head of Wexford Campus
T: 053 9185800
- Cost 3000
- Course Length 4 yrs
- Start date Sept to May
- Time Day time
- By Mary-Ruth Tobin
- Email: email@example.com