B.Sc (Hns.) Tourism and Event ManagementPrint
NEW Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Tourism and Event Management
CAO Entry: NFQ LEVEL 8
Course Code: CW058
Course Places: 30
Points NEW COURSE
Duration: 4 Years
What is this NEW course about?
Tourism is one of Ireland’s most important economic sectors, supporting 200,00 jobs in 2017. Bord Fáilte anticipate this will grow to 250,000 by 2025, resulting in significant employment opportunities for new graduates. Studying this course will equip graduates to take up management positions in one of the few truly global industries which has in recent years consistently outpaced world economic growth.
The tourism industry is largely driven by the sustainable promoton of natural and cultural heritage. Event management has become a big business and an itegral part of the irish tourism offering, with global events like the St. Patrick’s Day Festival, the Wexford Opera Festival and regional and local events.
This course has been developed in consultation with a number of unique attractions such a the Wexford Opera Festival and the National Heritage Park, developing links with such attractions will ensure a high calibre of graduates to support and enhance this sector.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates of this course will have an understanding and appreciation of arts, culture and heritage combined with business acumen and event management skills. The graduate will be a valuable asset to the tourism industry and will also have an understanding of the tourism industry from a global perspective, identifying responsible, sustainable and ethically driven decision making.
Students on this course will develop a strong management background in the context of tourism and events management, this combined with transferable life skills will enable them to take up full time positions in a diverse range of careers such as; festival manager, event organiser, marketing executive, tourism executive, fundraising officer and entrpereneur, amongst many more.
Graduates who achieve a minimum of a second class honours degree are eligible to apply to a range of Masters and Post Graduate courses within Institute of Technology Carlow, for example the MSc in Digital Marketing, Masters of Business or those available in other institutions.
What subjects will I study?
Year 1 Year 2
Mandatory Subjects Mandatory Subjects
• Communications and Customer service
• Principles of Event Management
• Tourism 1
• Cultural Studies 1
• Applications and Digital Media 1 • Project Mangement
• Tourism 2
• Cultural Studies 2
• Applications and Digital Media 2
Year 3 Year 4
Mandatory Subjects Manditory Subjects
• Financial Management
• Business Law
• Event Controller
• Tourism 3
• Research Skills and Event Tourism Project
• Work Placement • Professional Consultancy Project
• Careers Development & Employability Skills
• Human Resource Management
• International Tourism
• Digital Business
• Strategic Management
• Services Marketing
• 2H5 & 4O6/H7
• English or Irish O6/H7
• Mathematics O6/H7
Special Features of This Programme
• Practical focus through visits to key cultural, festival and tourist attractions
• 12-week work placement bringing students in direct contact with key organisations in Tourism and Event Management sectors
• Exit Awards: Higher Certificate in Tourism and Event Management (NFQ Level 6) after year 2 and BSc in Tourism and Event Management (NFQ Level7) after year 3
• Digital skills in key communication areas such as marketing, project management and visual presentations.
ACA, BSc, MSc, MA
International Student Enquiries
- Cost 3000
- Course Length 4 yrs
- Start date Sept to May(annually)
- Time Daytime
- By Mary-Ruth Tobin
- Email: email@example.com