QQI level 8 in Wexford Campus (IT Carlow) full time over 4 years.
What is the Course about?
Art is a diverse range of activities usually involving imaginative or technical skill and includes the production of works of art, the criticism of art, the study of the history of art and the aesthetic dissemination of art.
This four-year honours degree in Art is a dynamic programme unique to the Wexford Campus. Students are provided with the opportunity to gain creative skills, creative knowledge, aesthetic awareness and professional experiences in contemporary visual art. The programme covers painting, sculpture, digital media, professional practice as well as art history, film studies and cultural studies. The programme focuses on learning by doing with students actively working on creative projects in a studio context, as well as in IT labs and traditional lectures. The practical skills gained include professional methods of art making, creative risk-taking and experimentation, seeking and staging exhibition opportunities, community arts, effective communication and presentation skills and a broad knowledge of the contemporary arts landscape in Ireland and Europe. The programme is highly student-centred and provides a forum for exchanging diverse ideas and opinions through group crit, field trips, and a visiting artist programme.
• Programme features a wide variety of studio disciplines including: painting; sculpture; digital media and photography.
• Students can choose to specialise in either painting or sculpture in Year 3 and 4.
• Final year course work is presented in the form of a degree show.
• Annual public exhibitions in the South East are held at recognised art galleries and site specific locations such as the Wexford Arts Centre.
• Students have the opportunity to take international field trips in Years 1 and 2.
• Guest lectures from Irish and international contemporary artists.
• Many of the art lecturers are well-known artists and students benefit greatly from working closely with artists who are active in research, art and design, writing, curating and exhibiting.
• Exit awards: Bachelor of Arts in Art (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3.
- Cost 3000
- Course Length 4 years
- Start date Sept to May(annually)
- Time Daytime
- By Mary-Ruth Tobin
- Email: email@example.com